“True guidance is like a small torch in a dark forest. It doesn’t show everything once. But gives enough light for the next step to be safe” –Swami Vivekananda
Guidance in all its forms is crucial for one’s existence. Human life is an ode to a journey that starts at birth, flourishes abundantly under the guidance from the surroundings, from parents, from peers, and from teachers. The word “guidance” originated back in the 1530s and is explained as the process of directing conduct.
Throughout a person’s life, he/she comes across various opportunities and decisive junctures. Such a situation needs to be handled with an extreme understanding of one’s ability and interest. This is only possible when there is a solid foundation of self-awareness and future opportunities. This systematic approach is called Career Guidance. Career guidance can be defined as
“A comprehensive, developmental program designed to assist individuals in making and implementing informed educational and occupational choices.”
Students at various junctures in their lives require Career Guidance.
Following are some crucial stages:
- Students of Grade 9th – 10th: This stage requires the utmost attention as it lays the foundation for the careers of the respective students. The decisions taken at this stage will provide a direction towards what the person wants to do in the future.
- Students of Grade 11th -12th: This stage requires some critical guidance as students belonging to this grade are going to appear for some of the toughest entrance exams in the country. The success of their career bandwagon depends on excelling in these exams and getting their desired institution.
Despite being so essential, career guidance has not been reaching the students in India at the crucial juncture of their careers. Here is why –
- Poor Counsellor to Student Ratio
- No regulation for having a mandatory Career Counsellor in Schools
- Lack of knowledge
- “Follow the herd” mentality
Benefits of Career Guidance in Schools:
Career Guidance may seem like a rare sight in today’s education system in India. But it is gradually picking up its momentum as schools and parents are understanding the importance of having Career Guidance centers within their organization.
Elements of Career Guidance:
The following can be determined as the elements of true career guidance:
- Availability of a Qualified Career Counsellor:- It is very crucial to have a qualified guide or counselor who is experienced and who understands a student’s needs. This person will be the key individual to convey the guidance to the students and hence, must possess necessary soft-skills, should be empathetic and understand the ever-changing education environment and relate it successfully to an individual’s career.
- A Secure Environment:– A student needs to open up and communicate freely with the counselor or guide to ensure proper flow of guidance from a counsellor to the student. This is only possible if there is a conducive environment that supports the free flow of communication and provides a sense of security to the students which makes them feel at ease to discuss their problems with the counsellor.
- Foundation of Trust and Confidence: In most of the career guidance scenarios, the only guidance an individual has is the opinion of his/her parents, judgments of the teachers, perception, and ideas of neighbors, experiences, and instances of friends or peers. While they might be unbiased and rational, they cannot be relied upon as they do not possess sufficient evidence. Career Guidance has to overcome this lack of evidence by providing proven facts, scientific solutions that are easy to understand and implement. This will build a foundation of trust and confidence in the mind of the students.
A dynamic career guidance system will help schools achieve the following benefits:
- Understanding the true potential of their students
- Choosing the right career path
- Creating a road map for the students to achieve several career milestones
- Providing a reassurance to parents that their wards are in the right hands
- Helping teachers understand the unique needs of every student
- To support the smooth functioning of the schools
Although having such a robust career guidance system may seem like a challenge right now, there are many organizations like Supercounsellor that provide the necessary resources to set up viable counselling centers within the schools.
Super Counsellor is India’s first incubator for Career Counseling Startups. It provides solutions to those who are looking to set up their own career counseling business and career guidance venture. It assists entrepreneurs who are looking forward to starting their own venture in the future by providing the following benefits:
- Technological support
- International certification from UCLA Extension
- Expert Guidance on setting up a career counseling business
- Branding of the business
- Assistance and support
- Regularly updated information on guidance and counseling
And much more..,
It is an optimum solution to set up a dynamic Career Guidance opportunity within the schools in India.
The only question remains, “Are you ready to take that leap?”
To Know More About Super Counsellor Program