“I think it is possible for ordinary people to choose to be extraordinary.” – Elon Musk
Ever thought of being a superhero and saving millions of lives? Ever thought of rescuing people from darkness? Ever thought of being a ray of hope for people desperately in need? Sounds like being a character in a comic book, doesn’t it? Unreal and awesome!
But, it’s not impossible!
If your heart goes out to people who have lost the direction of life; if you feel like giving back to society by sharing your experience and showering guidance; you too, can become the superhero and lead that extra-ordinary life you aspire.
All you have to do is become a Career Counsellor – A Superhero that doesn’t need a cape!
There is a high imbalance in literacy growth and employment growth in India. The number of schools is growing but so is the number of educated unemployed population. Moreover, people are resorting to career options that they feel will gain more income but are not considering whether their personalities and aptitudes will fit with those career options or not and hence end up in a career slump.
What is causing this Imbalance?
There are many reasons that have lead to this imbalance, but the crucial aspect could be the lack of clarity on career development. And the only possible solution to gaining this clarity is having proper guidance. The guidance could be in the following key aspects:
- Stream selection after grade 10
- Excelling an entrance exam
- Intel on Scholarships and Freeships
- Best colleges in the country and abroad
- Best careers as per the student’s interest, personality, aptitude and potential
To gain all this knowledge, it is crucial to have a huge number of excellent career counsellors in the country. This gives immense scope for pursuing Career Counselling in India.
It might come across that Career Counsellors require extensive preparation to sustain in the industry, but that’s not the case. If you are a people’s person and you have that zeal and passion to build someone’s career in the right way, you too can become a successful Career Counsellor.
Skills required to become a Good Career Counsellor:
A budding career counsellor should possess the following skills:
- Effective Communication
- Empathy and Patience
- Ease in dealing with individuals from all the backgrounds
- Good Listening skills
To help with the technical skills to become an effective Career Counsellor, there are many online – distance diploma courses available which are curated by International Universities keeping in mind the growing need of Career Counsellors all over the globe.
One such course is the Global Career Counsellor Course. The Global Career Counsellor Certification is a premium online course by UCLA Extension and Univariety. This program is an amalgam of learnings from distinguished Indian and International experts in the field of counselling. The curriculum helps you to become a successful career counsellor by educating you on how to align student’s interests with career guidance and getting you updated with best practices in career counselling practised both in India and abroad.
UCLA extension is a continuing education institution within the prestigious University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). It has been consistently ranked in the Top 20 universities worldwide. Its courses are designed for working adults, college students and lifelong learners. Univariety is a Singapore based organization that sets up robust college guidance systems within schools and trains counsellors in delivering excellence to students and parents.
Along with this course, there are some key elements which an aspiring Career Counsellor should consider before embarking on this fruitful journey:
- Do extensive research: As a counsellor, you must be aware of the latest trends and changes in the education sector. You should know about the competitive exams which majority students are opting for, the various admission criteria adopted by top Universities all around the world and the non-conventional career options which students are working upon. As a counsellor, you should also be aware of your candidate’s background and work more to understand his/her psyche.
- Listen, first! : As a counsellor, you have to practice empathy towards your client. To do that you should be an exceptional listener. A listener who not only hears out his candidates interests but also tries to understand what the candidate is feeling at that point in time. The candidate is also primarily coming to you to make sure that there is someone who is willing to listen to him/her properly and giving an unbiased opinion.
- Unbiased Counselling: This is one of the crucial principles of Career counselling. As a counsellor, you have to make sure that you don’t influence your assessment through any personal prejudice or opinion and give advice as a third party who has no personal gains in the situation. You shouldn’t differentiate between gender, race, culture, nationality, religion and financial condition. This will help you create a great impression towards your clients in the long-run.
- Be a Good Counsellor: Do not focus on just being a favourite counsellor, focus on being a good and a just counsellor. If your client wants to cultivate a career in some path that will harm the client or the society in future, you must refrain from encouraging the client to pursue it. Instead, you should work towards making the client see the right path and encourage him to take it.
It might seem like a humongous task to become a counsellor in India, but the reality is that it is one of the few careers right now in India that are most sought after and has the greatest scope.
So don’t think much and take that leap of faith.